Monday, April 30, 2007

Laundry ethics

I'm hoping this isn't going to shoot all my laundry karma, but sometimes I leave my laundry in the washer or dryer. I'm careful to be there once it stops, but still, as my friend Ric pointed out, there are so many people who have nothing and stopping by the Laundromat (Would someone please come up with a good generic term for that place? Thanks.) would be a good way to get something. So it's always a little surprise to find my clothes there and unmolested.

I'd like to think that people just think that stealing someone's laundry is too low, but the night after my neighbor got evicted someone stole his TV. If people are OK with stealing from a man who just lost his home, then they are OK with stealing someone's clothes from the dryer.

Maybe it's that even though my clothes would cost me a lot to replace, they're not really valuable in a liquid-asset sense. (Let's go to the pawn shop and buy some jeans!) And usually someone else is in there doing laundry, which might be a deterrant.

No comments: